Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Capture Report When Report is Printed in Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asvni

Technical User
Sep 30, 2001
MY
How to Capture the Report whethere it is printed or not in Oracle Reports 6i and Oracle Reports 5?

How do we identify whether the user has printed the report or not? I need to execute update statement to update the status in the database table if the user prints the report in order to prove it's printed.

I feel it has to do with the trigger After report, but when I put update statement there, it's invalid.

I am new to report. COuld someone please help me.
Thanking in Advance.

You are right to use the trigger to update the DB. Using SQL right in the trigger may be tricky, you better create a stored function on DB side that would accept all necessary values and do the update. The function may return some bogus value, for example true of false. Such a function can be debugged and made sure to work outside the report. Calling the function from the trigger, make sure the report user has the privilege to update the DB.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Now I would like to know how would the report be able to identify that the report has been printed?How can it detect the printer?
What is the user rights I should apply?
Please let me know as I am new to reports and would like to trigger to update into the table once it's printed.
Thank you in advance.

You can detect the fact the report output has been sent to printer by system parameter DESTYPE='Printer'. You can not detect the fact of printing, if the report has been displayed on screen first, and then printed from browser or PDF viewer. To write to the DB, report user needs to have update privileges. Talk to your DBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back