Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to call specific excel cell contents from access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nardvark

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
US
Hello:
I wish to call the specific contents of an excel workbook, and have them display in the table or form (doesn't really matter which, though it'd be nice to have it in the table) of my access database. I've been able to use hyperlinks or OLE objects to have it open excel and point me to the location of the number, but what I really need is for it to fill the number in the table or form so that I can treat it like data. It's not an issue of resources, excel could be open for all I care, it's just that there's no convinient to compare the data when you have to open each workbook one at a time and write the numbers down somewhere else...
The reason I want to link to these workbooks is that each one contains 6 columns of data, two of which depend on the other four and are used to do a linear least squares regression and produce statistics (slope, intercept, error estimates, etc...). The slope, intercept, and other data is what I wish to have displayed in my database.
Thanks in advance!

You can create a linked table which is a range or a worksheet in an Excel spreadsheet. Access treats this almost like a native table. You can read it and update it, but you can't get at any formulae.

Creating linked tables is one of the options in the table tab. Just choose Excel when prompted for the file type in which to look for the target to link. You'll be prompted through from there.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back