Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to call a word document with OLE2 in Oracle9i for the Web???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricaforrica

Programmer
Jun 30, 2005
PT
Hello!

I'm currently working on a healthcare solution developed in Oracle Forms. Imagine a doctor assisting his patient: he uses our "doctor desktop" which provides all kind of information about the patient and his' clinical episodes. One of these features is the generation of a MSWord clinical report for the current patient, based on a template.

I'm using the OLE2 API to implement this and it is working fine in the 6i Version (C/S). However, when it comes to the Web Version, nothing works as expected...

Does someone know what must be changed in the web?
Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo Pinto.

Save your report to an apache directory on the middle tier server, then open a browser session with the report as the target using WEB.SHOW_DOCUMENT.

On 9i, the forms are actually running on the Application Server, not the end-user's PC. So any OLE calls you make are happening on that machine.

If your Application Server is a windows box, you may be able to get away with installing Office on the AS, doing all your OLE integration there, then sending the finished file down the line to the user somehow - WEB.SHOW_DOCUMENT being one possibility.

Alternatively, you can use the Webutil package. It comes as standard with 10g - see - but it was originally developed for use on 9i, so you may be able to root out the 9i version with a little digging. The package uses a special Java control to allow forms to make OLE calls on the client PC. Be warned though, it's a lot slower than the old 6i stuff.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Just so you are aware, Microsoft makes it VERY difficult to run Office Server Side. Office EXPECTS a user to be logged on before it will start WORD.

I have made it work by assigning the DCOM settings to a generic user id /password but that is the ONLY id that can start Office products on that SERVER, even if you log in using your own or ADMIN id.

Look up Service Side Office / DCOM on Microsft and it will tell you how to set this up.

Good luck..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back