Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to calculate and update an 'item number'

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgv

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
US
Greetings,

I have a pretty large data conversion going on via DTS. Mostly simple migration and reformatting of data.

However, I have a table and I need to generate a serialized number within a given group. Example

Field1 Field2
AAA 1
AAA 2
AAA 3
BBB 1
BBB 2
BBB 3

etc.

I found a way to serialize Field2 across an entire time with a single SQL statement such as:

declare @intCounter int
set @intCounter = 1
update x_GHIS
SET @intCounter = item = @intCounter + 1
where item = 0
go

However, the field 'item' is actually a SMALLINT and cannot be too large - thus the problem. I either need to be able to reset my counter in the SQL statement if it gets above 32767, or find another way.

I can keep track of a global variable within the transformation script I am using - but not sure how I could reset the value of 'item' as Field1 changes. (Well I suppose I could track 2 global variables)

Any elegant ideas? Thanks for any comments!

Can you set "'item' is actually a SMALLINT " to an Int in the table or are you bound to this size?

Thanks

J. Kusch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back