Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to bypass using a password to login to Windows account? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
Hi all,

I followed these instructions from: How to bypass the Windows 8 log-in screen

1. From the Start screen, type netplwiz. The command for netplwiz, aka the User Accounts Control Panel, appears in the search results in the left pane. Click that command.
2. In the User Accounts Control Panel, select the account you wish to use to log in automatically.
3. Click off the check-box above the account that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." Click OK.
4. Enter your password once and then a second time to confirm it. Click OK.
5. Restart Windows. Windows now bypasses the lock screen and the log-in screen to automatically take you to the Start screen.
6. Change your mind? To re-enable the log-in screen, simply return to the User Accounts Control Panel using the steps above and click on the check-box for the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option.

But Windows was still asking for the password.

For now I just created a new regular Local account, which solves that issue, but it's not exactly ideal, as many settings specific to that original account will remain there, like desktop personalization, programs preferences, etc

I was wondering, shouldn't this be as simple as signing/logging out of Microsoft, or somehow turning that original account into a Local account?

Any ideas will be appreciated

Did you do step 6? Don't do step 6 if you want auto login.

Sorry about that, I should have removed that step, or state that I had skipped that step.
But I can see why you ask: one just never knows.

pjw001 said:
"You didn't really say what it is you are trying to achieve,..."
What do you mean? It's right in the subtitle (How to bypass using a password to login to Windows account?)

Plus you gave me just the answer I was looking for! [bigsmile]
I'll try it soon.

Thanks a bunch pjw001

pjw001,
I just tried the instructions in your link.
Unfortunately whatever they advised to change, I already had it that way anyway. So nothing to change :(

Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back