Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to burn an iso file from an HMC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strus

Programmer
Nov 24, 2004
FR
Hi,

Is there a way (or a command or something else) to burn an ISO file stored on a HMC directly with the DVD-RAM of this HMC ?
I am sure there is a way since the system backup burns a DVD ... but what is the command to burn any other ISO file ?

Thanks

IMHO this is not possible.

Backing up on HMC consists of mounting a DVD-RAM disk as a read/write UDFS filesystem and copying files to that filesystem. There is AFAIK no burn_cd or burn_iso possibility in the HMC OS.

HTH,

p5wizard

p5wizard is correct, the HMC backup is not bootable, you need to reinstall the HMC base code from the IBM media and then restore the backup to rebuild the HMC.

This document seems to suggest you may be able to

May be worth opening a call with IBM to clarify.

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

Yes, in order to do a release upgrade on the HMC, you can choose to download ISO-files to create your own bootable CDs/DVDs, but you need to burn 'em on another installation (e.g. Windows PC with Nero), NOT on the HMC itself.

The DVD/CD drive on the HMC will only allow boot from CD-R or DVD-R disks, no CD-RW, no DVD-RW, no DVD+R or DVD+RW!

The backups (e.g. "BackupCriticalConsoleData") are made on DVD-RAM UDFS disks.

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back