Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to build Raid 5 on DL380 G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

forumit

MIS
Jul 9, 2009
ZA
I need to remove 4 old drives and replace it with 6 drives. How to i do this and configure RAID 5. How many spares drives do i need. I have never done this before. OS is Windows 2003 Server and is already installed. I wont be replacing hard drives where OS is installed.Please i need your urgent help on this task.

Easiest and safest way....
Assuming your old raid array data can fit on an IDE or SATA drive..
Add a SATA or IDE drive to a SATA/IDE interface, clone the old array to the SATA or IDE drive; boot via the SATA or IDE drive. Shutdown, remove the old array, add the new drives, create new array. Boot to Windows,reverse clone from the SATA/IDE clone to the new array, telling cloning software to expand the old arrays partition size to use the full size of the new array. Used Acronis and Paragon to do this. This could be done from an image also.
There is a way by replacing the present drives in the array with the larger new drives, then adding 2 more drives to expand the array, but far more work and not nearly as safe.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Some stupid questions:

1.Copy data from existing RAID partition.
2.Shutdown server, remove old drives and add new 6 drives.
3.Bootup server and use F8 or must i boot into OS and use HP ACU software to detect drives?
4.Delete old RAID and create new RAID partitions?
5. Any additional hardware required?

I need to 2 partitions, so i do i setup RAID for this. 3/3 split.The 3rd needs to be a spare?

Thanks for the links.I dont want to extend. Just replace with bigger and more drives.Do i use F8 to create the 2 logical volumes with 1 spare in each or must i boot into OS and use HP ACU?

I really don't want to answer without knowing for sure what you're environment looks like and you've already done; what step are you at? Plus you're using technome's process, which is not how I've done it in the past. Do you have large SATA/IDE drive to mirror the current data drive to?

From the information you provided above, you have 2+ hard drives for the OS and 4 for "data". You want to replace the 4 data drives with 6 larger ones and configure them in a RAID5 with a hot spare?

What RAID levels are your current drives?

Do you have a backup of your current data drives that you have verified as containing everything you need to restore (or the mirror configuration set up as described by technome)?

When you get to the point of configuring the new array, I would shut down, replace the current 4 data drives with the 6 new ones and then boot from the smartstart CD and configure the new array.

Hopefully technome can give you more detailed steps.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

OS on 2 drives RAID 1+0. Data on 4 drives RAID 5. I need to repaced the 4 drives with 6 larger drives. OS must stay intact.
I will either use backup or copy to external drive to recover data.
I want the 6 drives to become a D & E drive. So i will use 2 x drives + 1 spare for drive D and the same for E?
I thought i can do this by using RAID configuration (F8) and delete to old RAID. Shutdown server and replace drives and go back into RAID configuration (F8) and create new RAID array with 2 partitions?
Isn't the smartstart CD for loading the OS?
My knowledge on RAID is entry level.

forumit,
Make sure you have at least 1 verified backup. Don't assume it's valid, confirm it. Then put the SmartStart CD into the drive (cancel anything that autoruns) power the server donw, replace the 4 data drives with the 6 new ones. Boot the server from the smartstart CD. (This is from memory so it may not be completely accurate) Go into maintain server and then the array configuration utility (ACU). Create an array and two logical volumes from the new drives. You should be able to get away with only needing 1 physical drive for a hot spare. Reboot and go back into windows (remove the smartstart CD before it attempts to boot from it) and create your D & E drives.
Then copy your data back onto the new drives.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

blister911 is correct, misunderstood the raid setup...

The way I described is used for the OS or block specific programs such as databases were a sector by sector copy is needed.

Your raid 5 should be real simple and safe as Blister911 describes, simple copy data to another storage area, create new raid and copy back to new array (unless you have a program such as SQL on the raid 5);as to NTFS security, you might want to use robocopy to copy data to maintain security permissions. Agree, one hotspare will do, you might consider making the hotspare global to both arrays.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Dont i have to delete the old array or logical drive first from ACU first?

Again, I normally don't do it this way. I do the replace-one-drive-at-a-time method. Then expand the array and either extend the logical drive or create another logical drive, when all the drives have been replaced.

Seeing as you have already confirmed you have a good backup by this time and the OS is on another set of drives, at this point it would be easiest to delete the logical drive and array and completely recreate it. Expansion and extension take more time than just recreating it all. However, be very sure you're dealing with the correct array before doing anything.

I usually like to go wireless with my laptop and sit in front of the server. When you select drives they should light up to confirm you are dealing with the correct ones.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back