Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to broadcast data from a SQL server to an IP an Port 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triacona

Technical User
Jun 11, 2009
GB
Hi all,

Thanks for a great forum.

I hope this is the right topic for this query?

I have the following issue.

I have a server, which has SQL server and a database, for car parking data ( spaces total and spaces left ).

I want to broadcast each car parks spaces left to the Server IP and ports ( about 5, one for each car park ).

How would I go about this?

I have looked at the MS sites, one is
I want to continuously broadcast that data to the IP and ports, so the data is always live.

The server requesting data from those ports, outputs that data onto a website.

Where do I start?

What should I ensure is in place before transmitting the data?

Thanks for your help on this [smile]

Thank you,

Kind regards

Triacona

Thank you,

Kind regards

Triacona

As you have data in an SQL Server and a webpage for each car park, the natural way would be whatever these sites are written in queries the database.
Why go totally unwieldy and proprietary ways through whatever protocols you think about using special ports? That would be something I could put in perspective, if the clients would be simple IoT devices, bzt even that era is past as the simplest such things, even displays or free/occupied signs could be driven by SoC devices such as Arduino, Raspberry Pi and the like, those could even host a localhost web site.

Since that information is coming from the car parks I wonder why you can centralize the data but not get the local information back locally. Sounds like the system as far as it is wasn't thought out well.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke Software Engineering

Hi Olaf,
Thanks for answering [smile]
Basically this is a very old system, using radio towers to transmit to a central location, as the car parks are far from each other.
The system is legacy and was implemented 20 years ago.

I have been tasked with getting that information onto a web page.
The web page displays all data for the car parks in terms of spaces left, and has an algorithm to change the wording if there are no spaces.

There is not internet connectivity for the car parks just the radio transmitters.
These radio signals are intercepted in a central location.
The data is then loaded into the SQL server db.
We then read this data onto an ip and each carpark is a different port.

We had a different db to do this, but now moved to SQL server db.
And now the SQL server has all the data, as the previous method did not.

So what I want to know is:
1. How do output a query / create a re-occurring query that outputs the data to ip and ports, for example:
Car Park ..................noFreeSpaces..................totalNoSpaces
Yellow.......................0001............................1000

Thanks for all your help [smile]

Thank you,

Kind regards

Triacona

what was the old process doing? how was it collecting the data and sending to a db? I am not aware of any db that does that natively, always had a intermediary program waiting for data and then writing that data to a db.

look into the detail and the code - not just telling us what the process is (what you think it is!!!) but the technical detail.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I think the 'refresh' would be done on the end receiving the data, not on the SQL server. The SQL server would just provide the data via SSRS.

something like this
or this
or this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back