Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to break out of the dreaded infinite loop while editing a VB6 project

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientTiger

Programmer
Jul 5, 2001
US
This may be an old and obvious question, and even though I searched the FAQ and forum I didn't find what I was looking for. Please excuse this if it's already been answered.

I've encountered this many times over the years when working VB6 in my Visual Studios 6 Enterprise edition, and it's always cringe/cuss worthy when it happens. The dreaded infinite logic loop that locks up your editor when you hit F5 to execute your code, and there's nothing to do, as far as I know, except to end task and loose all your progress since last save.

Question: IS there a special way to break these loops that I'm missing. Perhaps a mantra with burning incense and a voodoo doll or something?

Again, this may be programming 101 for most, but this old cat is self-taught, and self has never taught self this trick. Thanks :D

------------------------------------
[yinyang] Over 30 years of programming, and still learning every day! [yinyang]

Answered my own question... as I suspected, it was something easy, obvious and "old school".

CTRL-BREAK

*slaps forehead*

------------------------------------
[yinyang] Over 30 years of programming, and still learning every day! [yinyang]

The obvious fix is to avoid infinite loops, but you already know that. Voodoo doll may help, but I use Ctrl-Break to get out of infinite loop. You have to hit it several times sometimes to make the loop stop, and it is not instant (usually), but it does stop your loop. Give it a try... :)

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back