Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to boot Win NT with fragmented MFT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2003
US
Hi guys,

I am recently having the problem of booting Win NT. After the OS Loader screen .. the workstation would hang at startup blue screen.

Initially, I suspects tht it's due to virus. I've used McAfee Clean Boot to boot up and found that $MFT file could not be open. The clean boot actually manage to scan through the rest of the hard disk with no problem.

Then I went to knowledge base and found "228734 - Windows NT Does Not Boot with Highly Fragmented MFT". In the resolution area, it is sugested to obtain Bcupdate.exe program to update the boot code of the NTFS boot sector. So my question is: Where and how can I locate this Bcupdate.exe ? Seems like Microsoft is charging me for the fault it OS has!

That KB article you mention also includes a link to creating an NT boot floppy (basically copying ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini to a newly formatted floppy - you can create your own boot.ini if no access to your drive and the other 2 files are on the NT install CD). You should be able to boot from this floppy - as it uses it rather than hard drive boot sector (which is your problem).

PS. Have you tried contacting M$ to obtain bcupdate.exe as suggested in the article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back