Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to boot from tape using brightstor v 9.01 windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

myroot

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2003
ES
Hi folks:

Got a question about how to boot server from a tape.

We got a server: hp proliant ml 370 g3 (1 gig mem - 2.4 ghz - 1 scsi smart raid )
Tape drive : 20/40 gb (DR support, it says)
Ca Brightstor V9.01 for Windows installed

I did the following: boot setup wizard/boot disk ->
choose tape (to boot from tape) -- inserted the windows 2000 cd --> Brightstor copies the /i386 folder to the hard disk and finished with success --> then made a full backup
of the system (Drive C:) (program says that i have to do this) and then shut down the server, restarting it with the tape inside the tape-drive.... but nothing happens:
the system does not seem to read from Tape Drive.
I inspected the Bios, but there is no info about how to
start from tape.. Brightstor calls this "make tape cd boot mode" I do not get it ! tape --> cd boot mode ??

please help
help

As far as I know, you have to push the tape eject button uring power up of the system. The server will then interpret the tape as a CD boot device. I am not sure if this helps, but it is the procedure when doing a desaster recovery from tape

Please check the tape manufacturers web site, it needs to SPECIFICALLY say One Button Disaster Recovery built In, or this will not work.

Garfield is correct, on most tape drives you hold in the eject button during cold boot to trick the SCSI bus into thinking the tape drive is a disk device.

This is only a suggestion, not a real clue:

See if your server suppports a later BIOS @ Hewlett-Packard. If "Y", download, install ... VERY carefully. See (probably 1st, if your H/W config is supported with tape boot (which is rather unsually these days, but you might have your reasons!)).

If all this is not the case, see if you have a CD-Burner in place and try with the CD-Boot method (described @ CA pretty well) applying all the latest CA Patches FIRST! (e.g. Patch for Windows SP2 and SP4, Ver 9.01, Patch 4, and the W2K Path on top) but only the appliable! SP3 does not work at all! So you would first have to up to Win2K-SP4. READ CAREFULLY EVERY SINGLE WORD OF THE PATCH INSTRUCTIONS. IF ANYTHING DOES NOT APPLY, DON'T DO IT.

Let the computer reboot everytime it wants, although 2000 should not do it anymore.

Run a full (Machine-Name) Backup on AS again. This should give you the latest corrections.

Create an additional "Machine specific disk". Could help at a later time. Only for Security.

Burn the BOOT CD ROM for WIN2K; give it a shot!

Good Luck.
Harald

The boot from tape is only for Disaster Recover, and was developed by HP. For more information on it you can go to the source at

One thing to be aware of they only keep current products on their compatibility lists. So older hardware may work fine but will not be listed.

That it will works, you need the DRO for ARCserve,
without AS can´t support the OBDR from HP.

cheers schumy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back