Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to block email from a particular domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpowell1

MIS
Mar 30, 2004
US
In Exchange 2003 how do I block inbound messages from a domain? In Exchange System Manager, Message Delivery, I see a Sender Filtering tab. Can I add a domain to be excluded there or is that just for an address?

dpowell1,
From the help system in ESM under message delivery->sender filtering
Add
Use this button to add an e-mail address to the list. You can type an individual e-mail address, or block an entire group of users by using wildcard characters. For example, to filter all messages from the contoso.com domain, type *@contoso.com.

just rememeber your wildcards and you should be good to go.

Ken

"cckens is a nick... why the H-E- double-hockey-sticks am I using a nick for a name? Am I afraid of who I am?"
-me
"...don't know why, but I think of chickens when I see that nick...maybe even choking chickens???"
-Tony (wahnula)

I just tried that and got a message that said "Connection, Recipient, Sender ID must manually be enabled on specific SMTP virtual server IP address assignments...." Any idea what that's about?

Yes, on your SMTP virtual server you need to enable filtering. YOu do this through ESM, go to your SMTP virutual server properties and enable filtering under the advanced option on the first tab.

I am also looking to apply filters to senders and am receiving the "Connection, Recipient, Sender ID must manually be enabled" error

When i enable filtering on the default smtp connector i am still getting the error message detailed above. I have stopped/restarted the smtp connector to no avail...

Thats normal that you receive that error message (warning message), just a popup screen to remind you that it has to be enabled on the smtp virtual server.
If its enabled then your good to go.

Send an email from a banned domain via telnet to test if it is working correctly. You should get a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back