Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW TO BLOCK 809 (AREA CODE) on phone system

Status
Not open for further replies.

LHeruska

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2009
US
So here is an interesting discovery (maybe not new to you) From my phone system I can dial 1-809-555-1212 which is the dominican republic. I've checked and rechecked my ARS Analysis and I have it listed multiple times with and without the 1 in front, with 7, 10, 11 digits - all set to deny with hpna, intl and local for call type but yet you can walk up to a phone and dial away. I would like to know what the heck I'm doing wrong here and also how you can get away dialing international without the need to dial 011..

Avaya Dfty using SA 3.1.13

Puzzled Newbie

ooops didnt see that it is set to deny. What does a trace show when calling that number?

Do 'list ars route 18095551212'. That would tell you which route pattern the PBX is using or if there are entries in the ars digit conversion table.

Kevin

ok here it is:

Dialed String - 1809555
Total - min 11 max 11
Route pattern 1
call type fnpa
location - all

So if I understand this right then it should be the call type?
So I went back into ARS Analysis and created one for 1089, 7,10,11 min max route all are set to deny and call type is set to intl, did the same for 809, and I can still place the call.

CORERECTION:

So I went back into ARS Analysis and created one for 1809, 7,10,11 min max route all are set to deny and call type is set to intl, did the same for 809, and I can still place the call.

Put 'deny' in the Route Pattern column for 1809 & 1809555.

Kevin

still not blocking the calls. For all the 809 ARS entries I have them set to deny, call types are all set to intl.

If you have any entries for 1809555 or 809555, delete them.
If you have multiple locations, make sure that your changes have been put in the ARS Analysis tables for each location.

Susan
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
Then, when you criticize them, you are a mile away ...
and you have their shoes.”

You could also send these calls down another route pattern, lets call it route 10. Now in route 10, set the number of Delete Digits to 11.

Do a trace to make sure calls to the number go out on this route pattern. If the calls reach this pattern ok, then the delete digits column will delete all 11 digits of the dialed number and effectively not dial any number. You'll just get a tone and no call will be made.

I think your issues are due to the location specific ars table, so check which location you are dialing from.

[Started on Version 3 software 15 years a go]

LHeruska-
To answer part of your question- Dominican Republic is assigned an area code by the NANPA, just as if it was a state like Arizona or Canada. This is true of much of the Caribbean, maybe all of it.
I agree with the above dialog, you block calls to DR just like it was Cleveland. SF0751 is on track with location; if that doesn't make sense to you yet then please try
"change ars analysis 1809555 location 1"
Even if location=all has it denied, a subsequent entry in the location 1 table would take precedence.

Also a note, the call type for 1809 calls should be fnpa not intl. I block these calls all the time, with the ars ana showing 1809, 11, 11, route pattern (deny) and fnpa this call will not pass from this ars location.
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back