Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to bind a Java Process to fixed number of processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

san2009

Programmer
Jul 15, 2005
US
Hi,
Our OS is IBM AIX. We have a Java product which is licensed to work for a fixed number of processors [6]. Recently we upgraded our server to 9 processors and now this Java software does not work. We actually use a wrapped application which uses this product.
Is there any way in AIX to instruct a Java application to use a fixed number of processors, say 6? I know of bindprocessor which can be used to bind the process to a certain processor but my requirement is to bind the process to a fixed number of processors.
Hope you guys can help me !!
-Sandesh

I think this can be accomplished by the AIX Work Load Manager,but if the application goes looking in the devices whether there are more than 6 procs present in the system, then I haven't got a clue.

regards,

R.

You cannot restrict a process to specific processors with WLM (AFAIK), just to a certain percentage of overall CPU. SO I think you will still be in the same boat, but it is worth a shot anyway.

Jim Hirschauer

Hi

You can Bind Processes to a dedicated Processor with bindprocessor.

I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back