Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To Best Structure A Large Plan To Facilitate Management/PERT Reporting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB7777

Technical User
Jan 16, 2013
US
Hi All - I'm being asked to structure a 5000+ line project plan in MS Project in such a way that management reports and PERT charts can be run quickly, easily and often.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how I could best and most effectively address this challenge!

Thank you.

Pert charts are no longer included in Project - haven't been since the 2003 release. As far as management reports - that's pretty broad -- so the best I can do is give general guidelines.

Create links where needed to drive the dynamic schedule.
Use summary tasks to summarize duration, work, and cost for the 5000+ line project.
Review the tasks for the appropriate level of detail - generally anything under 1 day is too detailed and any work package longer than 2 weeks is not detailed enough.

Use fields (Flag, Text) fields to code tasks for easy filtering and reporting.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the above tips. I'm not sure if this is an inappropriate post so if it is, my apologies in advance - do you offer one-on-one consulting services for MS Project? If so, how would I go about obtaining specifics on the services you offer? And if not, would you be able to recommend some individuals who do?

I am a consultant and trainer based on the East Coast of the US. Where are you located?

I'm East Coast as well - Massachusetts, in fact.

??? Might be Portland or Lewiston or Bangor or....

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

...uh, I never noticed! ;-)

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back