Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to best allow a client 2 removable drives on a RAID controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudzu74

Technical User
Nov 25, 2009
US
Hello all!

Have a question on configuration, here's the setup:

2 internal drives (mirrored for OS) on Controller0
24 drives in hot-swap bays on Controller1

Customer wants to have two hot-swap bays designated for data transport, meaning they want to be able to copy data from the server directly in to one of these two designated drives then remove the drive and take it onsite with them, come back and, i assume, reinsert the drive back into the server and copy collected data back into the big volume.

Using Adaptec 5405 controller and the OS is Windows Storage Server 2008. I designated 22 drives to a RAID6 array which leaves me with my two 'transport drives'. My question is, what is the best way to configure them?

I tried to just set up each of the drives as a volume in the controller console, then I booted into Windows and setup the drives in Disk Management then copied a bit of data to each of the two of them and proceeded to do what the customer plans to do: remove the drives for a period of time and reinsert them. First of all, the server alarmed and the event log treated it as a failure of course...had to manually silence the alarm (didn't even stop after I reinserted the drive) and on top of all that one out of two drives is now being reported as corrupt and the test data I placed on the drive is toast--not the result I'm trying to deliver, needless to say.

Should I configure the two drives JBOD instead of setting them up as volumes on the controller? Are there any other configuration changes I can make to smooth this process out?

First time using the forum, could really find anything on this via Google or in this forum so I thought I'd throw this out.

Thanks in advance.

If you are going to be connecting/disconnecting regularly, you will be much better off going with a USB device, either a disk based drive or a flash thumb drive.

fugtruck: "If you are going to be connecting/disconnecting regularly, you will be much better off going with a USB device, either a disk based drive or a flash thumb drive. "

I very much agree, in addition to being obviously disruptive to the system, it will likely wear out the back-plane on slots 22 & 23 where the drives are located (and we'll have to fix it under warranty). Unfortunately, I wasn't a part of the planning committee on this one, lol.

Thanks for the reply, fugtruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back