Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to backup files in another pc in the same network... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
... while the target pc cannot load Windows?

At the moment the problem pc is running "Windows Defender Offline". But it's taking a long time (going on 3 hours now). And there's no guarantee Windows will be able to run once Defender is done. So I better prepare to at least back up important files. I had made a backup with AOMEI Backupper, but it wasn't able to run from the USB drive as before (which is a shame). If I could only reach those files manually somehow and copy them to the other pc in the home network that already would be great. Then I would just reinstall Windows in the problem pc.

Make and boot a live Linux thumb drive or dvd, mount the hdd, and see what you can see, or make a windows pe disc and do the same thing, PE might give you ownership complaint. Or pull the drive and stick into secondary computer as secondary drive, still has same ownership issues, but google this, as it is easy to change ownership.

I'd definitely want to pull the drive and connect as a secondary drive or via a USB to SATA adapter or SATA dock or whatever. That way you should be able to get to the files more easily than trying to connect over the network. Also, it will somewhat lessen any risks involved with whatever malware you're dealing with since it won't be actively running the Windows partition from the problematic drive.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

My experience with a drive near death: SATA to USB adapter using Windows could NOT see the file system. It would just hang the system.

Linux mint with hard drive attached to the motherboard via SATA - I was able to view and copy all the files. Windows is not able to handle hard drives that are near death.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I was able to copy the files via a boot a live Linux thumb drive.

Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back