Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to backup client with anti-virus s/w

Status
Not open for further replies.

DESYAP

ISP
Mar 3, 2001
SG
Does anyone has successfully backup a client with anti-virus s/w. I have tried savepnpc but still cannot work. I think the logic is that the anti-virus s/w is blocking the port where networker can't even send a pre command to ask it to stop the anti-virus service. Can anyone comment on this?

I have servers with McAfee 4.5 and Open File Manager 7.003 installed and running at the same time, and when I try to run a backup in Networker, the backup doesn't even start. If I just have McAfee running, then the backup runs fine. If I just have OFM running, then the backup runs fine. It's a known issue with McAfee 4.0.3 and higher running with OFM 6.2 and higher. Both applications have their lock on the filesystem, and when a backup is attempted, it creates a recursive I/O (that's how it was explained to me). You must bounce the server to release this lock.

The trick is to let the OFM service start before the McAfee services start. You can do this manually, or use a third party utility that will delay the services.

My steps have been to set the McAfee services to Manual, bounce the server, let the OFM service start automatically, and then start the McAfee services myself. This allows both applications to run and it allows a backup to complete successfully.

I just wanted to share all this information with everyone. In response to your post, do you have any open file protection software installed? What are you using for Anti-Virus protection?

Yup....I am using OFM and using your describe method works. thanks alot

where did you find the anti-virus s/w to configure it for a client backup ?

thank-you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back