Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to AVOID RATS to EAT my CABLE wire 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybermac

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2003
PH
Pls pls HELP how can I prevent to avoid rats eating my cable at the back of my CPU wiring, its there any Gel or liquid need polish my cable? so whats the brand name? I dont want to use a cable tray. is there any option?

Hope u help me

Well to be honest I think you really need the pest control forum ;)

Seriously though, I imagine the only real way of eliminating the problem is to eliminate the rats.

If you're a bit creative, you could wire up an electrical rat trap - set up an RJ-45 socket to connect to an AC power plug, and another to connect to an AC socket. Plug a night light or something into the socket, connect a network cable of the flavor the rats have been eating into both jacks, and plug the AC power end into AC power strip. Rat chews on wire, gets AC power in mouth. Should stop them real quick, unless then can sense the signal difference before biting in ....

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

It is a novel approach, but the safety side of me says there must be a better way. You might consider an electric fence transformer or something similar, but the thought of having ethernet or phone cables around with lethal voltages makes me a bit nervous.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

I'd say get yourself some big flex conduit, like 3" or whatever size you need to get your connecters in and out of it, and then keep as much of the cable in the flex as possible.

if you would feed your wire rats they wouldnt have to eat the cable :)

you wouldn't need the AC-wired ethernet cable very long - just overnight to cook the rats. If you're creative, you could even put a fuze in it, or at least run it off a power strip with a built-in circuit breaker.... or you could wire it from a power cube - say 20 volts AC, into a modem...

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

Fred, You'd be suprised at what animals can get away with. I had a dog that used to chew our electrical cords off at the plug when she was a puppy. She lived to outgrow the habit.

Franklin - sounds like this can't work - if we raise the voltage enough to really fry the animal, the UTP cable would arc over first.... sounds like some kind of regular bait with rat poison is in order, unless they've mutated so they only eat plastic now....

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

Run the cabling through a sticky substance and then through ground glass. I'm not sure if its still used but ground glass used to be one of the main ingrediants of rat poison.

Excellent! - physical layer solution - I tend to think in terms of electricity. Cybermac - you might want to check with professional exterminators for what's advisable/legal in your area.

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

They make rat traps that have a very sticky substance on them. You put these in place and throw the plastic container and the rat away. Two or three of these should do the trick.

Happy hunting. :)

Mikey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back