Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to avoid direct CGI access and htpasswd workaround

Status
Not open for further replies.

eanon

Programmer
Jan 16, 2006
FR
Hello all,

I'm using a cgi script to produce a kind of private journal, accessible by a team only. This journal is accessible trhough URL rewrite and its directory is htpasswd protected... But anyone who access it sending a direct request to the CGI script can (it seems) workaround the protection and see the journal's content :( How to avoid this ?

Here are details of the installation :

To avoid unfriendly URL like (the script being in a sub-directory because it generates some files about stats and cache beside), I've placed an htaccess with URL rewrite in the public root. This way, the team can access the journal's notes at
Here is the content of this httpdocs/.htaccess :
Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^journal/?(.*)$ /cgi-bin/journal/journal.cgi/$1

About protection, there I've placed a .htaccess file implementing a .htpasswd one. The htaccess file is in the directory which contains the journal's notes. Here is its content :
Code:
AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf/.htpasswd-for-journal
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName "for Team Only"
AuthType Basic
require valid-user

So, if a visitor access the site at it's well redirected to journal.cgi and the credentials box is well displayed (the user has to be a member to see the journal).

But, if a visitor call directly it seems that the htpasswd is bypassed (in fact, the password box is displayed but, in background the journal is displayed anyway) and everyone can see the journal :(((

So, how to avoid this ? Is there a way to avoid direct access to ?

Hoping in your lighted advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back