Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to avoid corruption or changes to a database by other users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

economist

Technical User
May 23, 2003
US
I have made an .mdb file that I want to distribute to a variety of users that will each have their own copy. The underlying data does not need to be updated. The database will be used only to query the data (dialog forms are used to get query criteria from users and reports pop up automatically). What can I do to secure the database from users changing or corrupting the underlying data and the forms. I've seen the FAQ's on MDE files--anything else? Can I lock the tables? Thanks!

1. You can set the Allow Changes, Allow Updates and Allow Additions properties of your Forms to NO. This will keep users from making changes to the underlining data.

2. Create an MDE file

3. Lock out the ability to have users hold down the "SHIFT" key and get into the development side of the database. I have a db for this if you are interested.

HTH

"I know what you're t'inkin', ma petite. Dat Gambit... still de suave one, no?"

Set the startup properties to open with a form and uncheck Display Database window.

Tools - Startup - Display Form/Page

You can then disable shift upon starup, which will disallow users form opening in design view with the shift key.

I found the following db awhile ago, which allows you to disable and enable the shift key of the specified database. You can download it from

humbleprogrammer,
I downloaded the database, but for some reason, it is allowing the use of the shift button upon opening. I created a test database and tried to enable the shift with the downloaded database, and it is not working properly. I don't know what is going on.

jfgambit,
Can you please send me a copy of your database that does this? Send it to: jbento1@attbi.com. Thanks so much.

Jerome Benton
JERPAT Web Designs
GOD Is Good All The Time!!!

jfgambit,
Can you please send me a copy of your database? This is something I've wanted to do and finally found the correct post. Thanks! Send to mpavlidis@atekton.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back