Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to automatically configure computer name after ghosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilytek

Technical User
Jan 4, 2009
CA
I use Ghost Cast Server to roll out the new image to 100 computers in the lab. For the administration purpose, I need each computer to be configured with its original computer name after being cloned. For example, the 1st computer's name is "computer-1", I need to have it configured "computer-1" again after ghosting the new image.My question is how can I configure all 100 computer names automatically? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

If these are manufactured pc's I would look down the route of asset tags within the BIOS as a starting point.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Just thought of this when I pressed submit.

Alternatively you would have to go down the mac address route and name each machine depending on the mac address of the nic. You would need to create an answer file for the sysprep that told the machine to name it depending on the mac address.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

To expand on Siamon's suggestion of placing the computer name into the BIOS asset tag entry on the PC, you can use this utility to read that entry and change the computer name based on what is found in the BIOS asset using WMI.

You will need to configure your sysprep to run this tool on first boot.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Thank you guys very much for the valuable information and suggestions.I will try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back