Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to automate deletion of emails in personal folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathstar

MIS
Aug 28, 2001
CA
I have several users that have massive personal folders that I have archived their emails into, rather than having it on my exchange server. I have already setup 4 personal folders for this one user and will most likely create several more before the end of this year. I want to know if there is a way to have all the personal folders set to AUTOMATE deletion of emails in his SENT and DELETE folders?

I have read somewhere that this is possible but I haven't found any forums or postings how this setting can be done. I would like to automate delete of anything older than 5 months old. Please let me know if this is indeed possible.

Thanking anyone that can help in any way.

You want to automatically delete emails? Why?
PST files are really bad - avoid them.

I wil agree with you 100% that PST files are bad and also prone to corruption. However this was an executive decision so I'm left with the aftermath. What I need to do is have the user's email moved to a personal folder (.PST) than what I would like to do is have the emails deleted once they reach a threshold (6-9 months) since the emails can grow too excesively large which can lead to a corrupted PST file. As I indicated that I have read that this is definitely possible but there's no mention as to how this is done. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Right click the Inbox of the PST file in Outlook.
Choose properties.
Click the AutoArchive tab.
Select Archive this folder using these settings.
Specify the date range to delete.
Select Permanently delete old items.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back