Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to automate adding (editing) components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyO

Programmer
Mar 28, 2001
US
I've got a site with "server side includes" based in the UNIX syntax. A server side include (SSI) is the same as an "Include Page" component in Front Page, except easier to use.

So, I want to migrate everything over to Front Page components for the client. Now, the simplest way would be to do a site wide search for the UNIX tax and replace it with the Front Page version. Simple concept, right?

Well, Microsoft doesn't allow this. Instead, I need to manually edit every page!!!! Ugh! Talk about tedium?! "Where do I want to go today"? How about to DreamWeaver! Something built for productivity!

Does anyone know of any other way to edit the code this way to avoid having to point, click, point, click, for 100 pages??

Thanks in advance!

You just need a better search and replace program. Funduc software (funduc.com) has a great one that will let you search out and change a long string of code (including wildcards) and will perform the search and replacement on all of your directories and sub-directories.

You'll have to do it on your hard drive (as opposed to on the web) but it will only take 5 minutes to do.

I'm a little unclear on whether you are switching from SSI to FP Include Pages or vice versa. If you are switching to Include Pages keep in mind that they are not really dynamic the way that SSI is. If at some point the site was maintained with non-FP software the Includes would not work once the pages were changed whereas with SSI they will no matter how the site is created.

Good luck,

Bunni Dot Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back