Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to auto update rss xml in flash without whole page refresh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidPlus

Programmer
Feb 20, 2007
NL
Hi all. I don't have experience working with flash . But i need a help adding auto update rss xml to a flash image rotator which is not made me(The author provided the source .fla file).Now flash pulls image url from a rss feed but if i want view updated rss i have to reload the whole page!!

I appreciate if any one help me modify this flash so it pulls data every 15 seconds automatically without refreshing the whole page. i know you might suggest to use javascript but i want to use this flash where javascript is disabled.I did some search and noticed flash has this auto update power but never found a good tutorial on how to do it!!

Currently flash image rotator pulls rss xml feed like shown below. I appreciate some one help in achieving this task.Thanks

Code:
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="./imagerotator.swf" height="180" width="448">
  <param name="movie" value="./imagerotator.swf" />
  <param name="allownetworking" value="internal" />
  <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
  <param name="enableJSURL" value="false" />
  <param name="enableHREF" value="false" />
  <param name="saveEmbedTags" value="true" />
  <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" />
 [b] <param name="flashvars" value="file=externalfeed.php&autostart=true&transition=fade&shownavigation=false&rotatetime:4&shuffle=true" />[/b]
  <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
</object>
</div>

Looking foward for some help.Thanks

kennethkawmoto thank you for your reply . I have no flash installed and never worked with flash. could i send you the .fla ?

could tell me what version should i install and where i can change the interval. I waiting to install a trial version.

I installed flash 8 and here is what i see . could you tell me step by step what should i do ?Thanks

th.cce80ef606.jpg

I installed flash 8 and here is what i see . could you tell me step by step what should i do ?Thanks

th.cce80ef606.jpg

The first thing to look is the frame with "a" on it in the Timeline window (it's on the layer named "script"). If you select it, then open the "Actions" window you should see the script. Can you tell us what's the script?

Kenneth Kawamoto

Code:
// Start the rotator
var irt = new com.jeroenwijering.players.ImageRotator(this.rotator);
function startNewRotator():Void {
	irt.loadConfig();
}
setInterval(this, "startNewRotator", 15*1000);
This will force it to load the new playlist (and other configurations) every 15 seconds.

Kenneth Kawamoto

Thanks for the code but it unfortuently it Doesn't work !! The picture never changes. There is one image in xml and it stays showing that only. Instead of changing it to diffrent one when rss xml changes.

xml is changing for each song. The xml is rss feed from a remote site. I hear the radio station and when song changes i want the image to change. I am 100 percent sure the xml is changing since if i go directly to xml i see new one is there but this flash does not display that new image unless i press refresh!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back