Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to attach a serial console for SPARC T5220 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tneuwirth

Technical User
May 1, 2013
US
There are two Sun servers in the data center here. One is a Sun-Fire V240 (unused test system) and the other is a SPARC T5220 (production server). The T5220 server has no console connected so what I would like to do is remove the console from the V240 and place it on the T5220.

I need this connected so I can access the ILOM feature for some disk issues we are seeing from the command line. My experience with this is minimal so I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Eeprom settings:

output-device=virtual-console
input-device=virtual-console
ttya-mode=9600,8,n,1,-

Regards,

Tammy

the SER MGT ports pinout on the t5220 are 6 receive and 3 transmit. If the terminal was originally attached to the v240 serial mgt port (not the ttya port which is different pinout) then the same cable should work on the T5220. sun Service manual 820-2181-10 has information on the pinouts. Seems they removed that info from later releases of the documentation. You will also need ilom documentation doc 820-2180-12 (ilom 2.0) or 820-6683-13 (ilom 3.0) depends on your firmware level. Ilom is a little bit different (not as friendly) than Alom which is easier to use. What you can do is once logged into the ILOM you can create a ALOM account and utilize that.

Pin Signal Description Pin Signal Description
1 Request To Send (RTS) 5 Ground
2 Data Terminal Ready (DTR) 6 Receive Data (RXD)
3 Transmit Data (TXD) 7 Data Carrier Detect (DCD)
4 Ground 8 Clear To Send (CTS)

Last thing is if you have the blue cisco cable Part# 72-3383-01 you can utilize that with your laptop to jack into almost all Sun servers utilizing Sun ALOM, RSC, ILOM, lom SERMGT port. I always have 1 with me.

Thanks

Chris Adams

Chris,

Thank you for your input. I will review ILOM/ALOM usage and cable pinouts. I should be able to just plug in the console, keyboard and mouse if pinouts match up without requiring a reboot, correct?

Tammy

you are using a vt terminal correct? that would be ascii based and keybrd is attached to the console. You would not be attaching a keybrd and mouse to the server. You are plugging the rj45 into the port market SERMGT and the bd9 or db25 into the vt terminal.

And correct no reboot should be needed.

On the V240 is the cable plugged into the serial mGT port? or are you using a graphics console with mouse and keybrd attached to server usb port?

Chris

I had a chance to go to the site today and find that the console is a Sun 365-1417-02 CRT with a non-removable HD15 video cable. This is plugged into a PCI card/slot on the V240. The keyboard and mouse are plugged into USB ports on the V240.

At this point, I think it might be best to try the laptop plug in using the blue Cisco cable. One of the network guys had an extra. I will just move the kb and mouse over to the USB slots on back of the T5220.

Thanks so much for your help Chris. Great advice!

Tammy

Tammy.. you will not need the keybrd and mouse you just use your laptop.

And no problem. I deal with these systems on a daily bases so any questions just post. I actually teach a class to our company field engineers on how to service Tseries and Sunfire systems so should be able to assist with most questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back