Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to associate .csv with excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amy88

IS-IT--Management
Dec 22, 2003
MX
I need help setting the default program for .csv files to excel.
I am using windows 7 & excel 2010

I can open .csv from inside of excel without any problem.

When I right click a .csv in windows explorer and select "open with...", the recommended program is adobe reader. When I click the down arrow to reveal "other programs", excel is not on the list (strangely, Word is on the list). So, I browse out and find my excel.exe and select it, but it just kicks me back to the "open with" window and there is still no excel option.

I get the same routine when I go via control panel and try to "associate file type or protocol with a specific program".

Any help appreciated.

On my Win7 system, I can choose Control Panel, Default Programs, Set Associations, Excel is right there on the list as the recommended program - but I'm running Excel 2003. Can you use the "Other Programs" option to find your Excel and make it the default ?

Fred Wagner

Thanks for the quick reply, but excel is not in my "other programs" list and it also will not allow me to choose it by browsing from the "open with" window (even though I can locate and double-click it or click "open" in the browse window).

Are you in an 'Enterprise' environment ? if you don't have Admin rights on your PC, you may have a restricted environment - your Help Desk may need to be your point of contact to get the CSV to Excel association set properly.

Fred Wagner

amy88, when you are in the Open with window did you click on the small v at the end of the line next to Other Programs? That will display the full list of applications.
If you did do this and Excel is not listed then when you try to do it manually try switching to the Program Files (x86) folder and then look for Excel.exe under there.

If that still does not do it you may have to reinstall Office as it appears not to have registered everything correctly.

Good luck.

At my age I still learn something new every day, but I forget two others.

Thanks, but I am admin on my computer.

Thanks niteowl. Yes, I displayed the full list of apps and excel is not in it. I do not have a program files (x86) folder, so that's out.

Also, I did a couple things to make sure that I am have the right excel.exe.
- I searched my c drive and I only have one excel.exe on my computer
- I opened an .xlsx file in excel and then opened process explorer to see the path of the excel.exe that was running. It was the same one found in my search... C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

I also have an \office12 directory, but on excel.exe there anyway.

You're onto something here linney.

I previously dumped the Adobe Reader association, which didn't help.

I repaired office -- no help.

BUT when I logged on as a different user, the default assoc came up as excel and it opened in excel when I double clicked the file! Excellent!

Not sure what to do to correct it in the original user... In the user where everything worked great, I noticed that in the reg HKCU/software/classes there were not any file extensions listed. But when logged in as the original user, there were many (including .csv with the value "csv_auto_file"). Should I just delete the HKCU/software/classes/.csv key in the original user??

You could Export the Key and save it somewhere for Import and test your theory.

To fix a corrupted profile have a look at the following.

Fix a corrupted user profile

Fix a corrupted user profile

811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile

Description of Windows Easy Transfer for Windows Vista or Windows 7

Thanks. I'll need to try this when I get a little more time. Good suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back