Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to assign a video card to Windows, and a 2nd one to a program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
I have 2 video cards installed.
I need to assign one solely to Windows, so that the 2nd can be use entirely by Blender.
Both are Nvidia cards, so I have the Nvidia Control Panel installed.

Btw, I know setting up 2 displays is not exactly the same thing but when I go to that tab in the Nvidia Control Panel it only shows one video card.

Thanks guys,

JDL

How are they installed? physically, and what models. You are not using an SLI connector right?

It seems it was just a matter of physically connecting the monitor to the vcard I wanted for Windows. Then choose the other vcard from within Blender to be used by...Blender. I did have to swap their positions too though.
Unfortunately this still did not solve my problem with Windows running out of time while Blender is trying to render. But I believe this is how the setting up of the cards is done.

JDL

Windows running out of time? I don't understand what that means - if you mean the lock screen or screen saver appearing, or the screen turning off, you can change or disable these in the 'power & sleep' section of PC Settings.

Blender should still keep working while the screen is off though so you can leave Screen to power off and just disable the 'sleep' setting (i.e. set Sleep to 'never').

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back