Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Approach a Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadyness

MIS
Dec 21, 2001
US
I have a project for a client that needs data accesed from a SQL Server DB and placed into an excel speadsheet, format that sheet, and then mail it to a particular set of clients at the same time everyday. Inside of a reporting admin base I created I stored a table with client info needed for data extractoion SQL Statement and email information for the DTS package I started to construct. But now I am stuck on how to attack this correctly. I am no stranger to VB or VBA in excel, but does anyone know how or if DTS can open an excel book and apply VBA script in order to format, save-as, and close the workbook after data transfer?

<== Some people say they are afraid of heights. With me its table widths. ==>

Yes you can do it in an activex script in dts.
Probably would want to create the spreadsheet, use a data transformation task to populate then and acxtivex script to format.

If you have done similar things in VB then you shouldn't find a problem.
I've got a script somewhere that does this sort of thing but can't find it - post if you have problems and I'll have another look.

======================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back