Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Apply Custom Sort on Month Name in Universe Designer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nassy

Programmer
Mar 27, 2003
GB
Hi

I have this niggling issue that is really getting to me - as I have tried all sorts of things and nothing works.
I have created a Universe to use in conjunction with the dashboard builder and in my DimTime dimension there is a field Month and a field MonthName.
All I want to do is to tell the Designer that I want to sort the Months in the logical order and not alphabetical order....

So far I have tried to edit my MonthName object so the SQL returned is

Select MonthName from DimTime
Group By MonthName, MonthNumber

which would return the right monthnames in SQL server.

I know that if I was using Webi this wouldn't be so difficult as there is a custom sort function but dashboards only let you display what there is in the Universe etc...

Note that on dashboard analytics where I can use metrics I don't have this problem as in that case I can apply a calendar and month names are in the right order but some of the analytics require a universe query and so I definitely need a way to apply the correct sort to the month name object - I am creating dashboards as a proof of concept so having the months in the wrong order just won't cut it! [3eyes]

Any suggestions on the steps needed to resolve this would be fab. Otherwise I will just have to create a DisplayMonth field displaying months as 1: Jan, 2: Feb etc... but hardly that elegant for pre-sales.

Nassy

in all cases it should be :

Code:
Select MonthName from DimTime
             [b]Order by[/b] MonthNumber

Group by is used for aggregates.

If the issue is to have the months in proper order than the monthnumber is the proper candidate

Ties Blom

Thanks for the reply. I did get this working but by using an object format as I couldn't get the SQL way to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back