Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW TO ANSWER A CALLING PPP SERVER?.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

refugiano

Programmer
Sep 2, 2002
MX
Hello, I have a problem, I need to hook up with the network at my work place via PPP (or slip...), in my workplace I have a Sco Openserver 5.0.5 server ( I am the administrator) the server works just fine I have configured it to work as a gateway, it works fine when I dial to it, but because of the telephone set up I can not call it from outside, so I worked something around that is to make the server call me, it works fine with telnet as I can connect to the server and work on it, BUT here is the big BUT I cannot stablish a PPP connection, because all of the PPP connection programs ( on both linux and M$) are not able to answer a phone call, besides the logging is done thru (or have to be done by) a console. It seems all of the PPP dialers expect to dial out and cannot be set to answser a server call, I have tried a lot and this is like my last resource, any ideas how to achieve something like this?.... I want to answer the call either from microsoft windows 98 or windows Xp or Linux Mandrake 8.0 or anyone of this is fine....

Linux and MS both can answer a call and start a PPP session. PPP is actually a peer-to-peer protocol, not a client-server protocol. But in most configurations, authentication is only performed in one direction (although it can be configured to do neither or both).

With Linux, you have to configure a ppp daemon to answer the telephone. There are some reasonably good tutorials on how to do this on the net. A copy of the HOWTO is at the following link:

With MS, you need to configure a RAS (Remote Access Server) to answer the line.

Your mistake is that you are using the DIALER to attempt to ANSWER a call.

My preference is generally to use Linux for this sort of thing. It is lightweight, and I don't have to use a machine better than a 386 with a limited amount of memory to perform this function.

pansophic

I already read thru and very carefully have tried with linux and Windows, I will try the Remote Access Server, good tip at not using a dialer for that, I will try to focus on the ppp demons althought there is no clear documentation on that (I have read quite a few), besides I am new to Linux, thanks for the advice y Saludos!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back