Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to alter displayed URL

Status
Not open for further replies.
is this any good ?

Say you had a page at and say that you wanted to display a page at but hide that ugly url, then in apage.html do something like:

<FRAMESET ROWS="100%,*">
<FRAME SRC="<FRAME SRC="blank.html">
</FRAMESET>

and then in blank.html:

<BODY></BODY>

This way the location bar shows and hides the other.

Aaron Taylor
John Mutch Electronics

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts.

Xemus, I'm aware of how to change the status bar, but am looking for a way to change the address bar. I've already read the article you mentioned and understand the ethical considerations regarding cloaking etc.

Aaronjme, I've also been down the frameset path but have found the URL is always displayed in lowercase.

My interest here is to change the capitalisation of the URL showed in the user's browser. A domain like is much more readable (and better for business) when displayed as so I'm looking for a way to have the address bar display the capital letters. Depending on the web server hosting the site it's possible to registrer the domain with capitals but there's a risk the URL won't be recognised if a user types the address in all lowercase.

So... what I need is a script or similar that will change the caps in the address bar. I get the feeling there's no solution as (quite rightly) there are mechanisms in place to stop you from messing with the displayed URL.

If anyone has any ideas.....

In the event that this isn't possible, have you thought about dealing with the title to help them remember the address?

There are plenty of cripts available that use DHTML to interact with the title. Here's two examples:

You could always create an image of the address bar and your prefered capitalization, set it at the top (like a banner or header), and set the parameters of links to disable the regular toolbars...
Ok, bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back