Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to administratively configure Program Neighborhood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woter324

Technical User
Jan 26, 2007
GB
Hi All,

According to page 36 of the "Xenapp Plugin for Hosted Apps for Windows Administrator's Guide" Online Version link here, there is no way to remotely or administratively configure Program Neighborhood.

So, my simple question is. How does one get around this??

We use a published desktop through Program Neighborhood (ICA Client). (as close to Windows Terminal Services as we could get). 95% of our clients are Linux thin clients. We push out those settings using the thin client manager.

What I fail to believe, even after reading the above, is that Citrix expects Admins to go around configuring ICA client for each and every user that want's to use a PC.I can't even put it into All Users.

I have looked at MST's and the supplied ADM for AD Group Policy, but most of the important ICA Client options are not available.

I think the majority of the configuration sits in appsrv.ini under local settings, i.e. the list of servers, the published desktop name, screen resolution, screen colour depth etc.

The only way I can think of doing it is totally modifying the XenAppHosted.msi and adding my own files like appsrv.ini, just the way we want it.

I've also looked at Thinstall, but it uses an old ICA client and it refers to Program Neighborhood (agent).

I found a site that according to this website :

Quote: "It has always been relatively easy to install/distribute Citrix ICA clients to workstations in the past. This can be done via Citrix Web Interface, the Citrix Automatic Client Update Utility"

How do you configure ICA Clients from Web Interface then?

If anyone would be able to point me in the right direction or has any ideas / solutions, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

(P.S. I know citrix want to phase out the Published Desktop method, but our 15,000+ thin clients don't have web browsers.)

PPS, I have posted this in Citrix Forums but as I haven't got any form of answer (as usual) I've post here where I always do get helpful replies :)

I've found a solution. Simple when you think about it.

Thanks Greg A and Matt Mustain

Solution

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back