Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to ADJUST the time setting in CDE? URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

slajoh01

Technical User
Apr 2, 2006
HU
Ever since DST, my CDE clock is ahead by 1 hour. I am dual-booting with Windows 2000 and in Windows it seems to be ok. But in Solaris my clock shows that it is off by one hour ahead..

So how can I ADJUST the time in the CDE desktop? I have been searching the Sun docs for hours and no luck..IS ther any way I could adjust the time? It looks like theres no hope..

I need help like right away since my apps are logged based on time..

thanks

Have you tried setting the time using date. From the man page:

Code:
example% date 10080045

sets the date to Oct 8, 12:45 a.m. The current year is
the  default  because  no year is supplied. The system
operates in GMT. date takes care of the conversion  to
and  from  local  standard and daylight time. Only the
super-user may change  the  date.  After  successfully
setting  the date and time, date displays the new date

When one door closes another one bangs shut too.

Ken

Noticed the new tag line, you having a bad day?

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

Mike - no not really. 'Bad decade' might just about cover it! ;-)

When one door closes another one bangs shut too.

Ok,

I am running a dual-boot system running Windows 2000/Solaris...I have already set the INTERNAL CLOCK to UTC... and on both OSs, it has LOCAL TIMES displayed (PDT)..on the desktop clocks currently...

I am thinking about using the time (not the INTERNAL clock) on Solaris and keeping LOCAL TIME under Windows...If I do this, do I need to have the "Adjust to DST time Automatically" under Windows in the Date/Time settings? Or, should I leave it unchecked if I decide to do this..?

My question is....will this cause any time conflicts on both OSs DURING Daylight Savings Time??? Will it cause any conflicts??

thanks...And I already solved the date command problem..

Edit >>> DISREGARD MY LAST ONE...ALOT OF TYPOS!!!!
=======================================

Ok,

I am running a dual-boot system running Windows 2000/Solaris...I have already set the INTERNAL CLOCK to UTC... and on both OSs, it has LOCAL TIMES displayed (PDT)..on the desktop clocks currently...

I am thinking about using the time (not the INTERNAL clock) on Solaris as UTC and keeping LOCAL TIME under Windows...If I do this, do I need to have the "Adjust to DST time Automatically" under Windows in the Date/Time settings? Or, should I leave it unchecked if I decide to do this..?

My question is....will this cause any time conflicts on both OSs DURING Daylight Savings Time??? Will it cause any conflicts??

Is there anyway to edit the posts here?? Anyway, I got one more thing to add here..Sorry...

I just want to prevent the same problems that I had with the clocks being different from each other during DST and I want to prevent the same thing from happening again if I decide to keep Solaris on UTC and leaving Windows on LOCAL TIME while keeping the INTERNAL CLOCK as UTC. Thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back