Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Add Special Usage Rights? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark929

Programmer
Nov 30, 2001
US
Acrobat Reader 7 states that you can fill out a fillable form and save the form with the data if the form was created with "Special Usage Rights".

I use Acrobat 5 to create my PDFs, but I can't find where I set these special user rights on the form. After searching through Acrobat 5 and the accompanying instructions, I'm ready to ask for help.

Can anyone tell me where this setting is?

Thanks

Mark

It's not a setting. It's a marketing scheme. Adobe "removed" the ability to handle forms with Reader. You can only fill them out and "submit" them to a server for processing.

To create a PDF Form that Reader can fill and save, you have to buy the "Forms Server" or whatever they are calling it now:

When I last checked into it, this was a metered application. You bought the right to create a specific number of "fillable" PDF forms. Then it stopped working until you bought "refills".

It was extremely expensive.

Adobe seems to be in the mode now of REMOVING features, or "locking" them, in order to sell expensive server products that allow you to "unlock" them.

My advice: learn how to handle PDF Forms via a server-side language. My site has a couple of articles on the topic.

Thomas D. Greer

Providing PostScript & PDF
Training, Development & Consulting

Haiku workshop and community.

tgreer,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I also appreciate the link to your site, and your advice. It seems like to logical way to go.

Thanks again for your response.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back