Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to add hyper link to records of query result

Status
Not open for further replies.

lieder

Programmer
Apr 17, 2002
US
I created the search result table page by using frontpage database results wizard, however I want to add hyperlink to the search result records in the table, that means when I click one record of the searched result table it will go to another page which will dispaly another search result. Of course, click different records will lead to different pages

I looked it in the help menu, I did get nothing.

If you know something, please help.

Thank you very much for your help.

Lieder

If I understand your question correctly, here's some info that may help.

If I have a rolodex database, and a column in the rolodex table called contact_name. Now I want to have a button that will always get me "John Smith" from contact_name.

Here's the example line:
Here's the breakdown:
{domain}/{search page}?{column name}={query}

Note that a space is shown as +.

The above example assumes that the searchresults.asp page already has the Select statement in it, which a FrontPage Search Wizard would have put in there for you. Dave [idea]
[]

Thank you for your quick reply. for the example you gave, in the cloumn of contact name, I may have "John Smith" "Ray Hill" "Ken Forest"... the function I am seeking for is that when I am click one of the names above, I will get the information for that person, which in fact is the result of another query. So I am not using a button. Hope this can help you understand my question, if not, please let me know.

Thank you again,

Lieder

Well, if it were pure .ASP, no prob.

Here's an example in HTML:
<a href=&quot;searchresults.asp?key=<%=Server.URLEncode(rs(&quot;contact_name&quot;)&&quot;&quot;)%>&quot;><% response.write x_contact_name %></a>

And the result that the server creates:
On the page you'd see John Smith as an underlined link, but the link would be
FrontPage wizards are terrific at getting things up and running quick if you don't know .ASP. But they suck if you want to customize.

Perhaps another forum member who's spent more time with FrontPage's code can disagree and post an example. But I make a living creating custom code since it's not as easy to work &quot;outside the box&quot; with FrontPage code. Dave [idea]
[]

I found another posting on It seems that the instructions gave can solve my problem, but when I try to follow the instructions, I can not find some of input box described in the instructions, as you know if I can just click several times and input few words then I get what I want, that is wonderful, if not I have to do some coding.
If you like you can go to the link to see if you can figure it out.

Thank you very much and have a good evening,

Lieder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back