Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to add HD to a RAID 5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmooc

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2006
CA
Hello!

I have a Proliant 3000 server that is running out of disk space on the active partition. The active partition meaning the boot partition where WINNT folder and boot files are stored. There is only 1 Gig of HD on this partition and the 2nd partition is about 30 Gig. The problem I am having is every time I run windows update; it said there is not enough room for it. I have try various ways to work around this like moving the temp folder to the 2nd partition, disk clean up, deleting windows update files etc.

I want to expand the first partition with 2 of the available hard drives I have. I am not sure if there any way for me to add more hard drive to the first partition without having to re-create the disk array again.

It is set up as RAID 5 with Windows 2000 server.

Thanks,
Helen

Depending on your RAID controller you can add drives to your existing array without issue. Problem is trying to increase the size of your C: partition for which you will need a 3rd party tool/

For W2K server you'd need Symantec Volume Manager, Acronis or another tool. I forget the latter.
Acronis and the other now have so called 'server' versions at ten times the price and 2% more functionality. However if you can find an earlier version it will work fine with both W2K pro and server.

Check previous threads for details.

I think I am going to just do this once and for all and reformat this old darn server. It is just a file server and I can basically hock up an external hard drive and copy the 30 G worth of data over for the time being.

Would I have to download a driver for the SCISI controller (for the hard drive) for the Proliant 3000 like I had to do so for the new Dell PowerEdge server?

I found a like from HP site but not quite sure which drive I should be download.

If you can point it out, I would be appreciate it.

Thank you,

Helen

For a ProLiant 3000 with W2K what you actually want to do is download the following and burn to CD then boot from it:-

This is SmartStart 5.50 which will help you build server then you can install the 7.51 agents over the top after OS is up and running.

5.50 will set up system partition, load correct drivers for you etc. etc.

Hello,

Thank you your help. I ended up moving all the data over to a newer model server with over 250 G of storage space. It was sitting there just in case our exchange server have any problem but i was able convince the boss to let me use it for file storage instead. I will wipe out the old compaq and use it for some other purpose.

Cheers!
Helen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back