Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to add a new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

babeo

Technical User
Mar 30, 2000
CA
Hi
I want to add a new 36GB hard drive for Sun Ultra Enterprise 450. What are the procedures and preconcious that I should do and pay attention to? Should I run some patch to update this new drive? or I just run boot -r and it will do everything? How do I format it or is it preformated?

Also how may drive that I can add more to RAID 5 system (which already has 6 HD inside)?

Thanks.

HI

Get the information about this H.D, includes cylinders and tracks.

1) shutdown
2) connect the H.D
3) Boot -r
4) Format, choose the H.D, go to partition, devide etc.
5) label the H.D.
6) you accutually didn't format the H.D.

7) newfs that drive
8) add the driver to the vfstab file.
9) mount -a

Thanks for your response

Bring you system down to the "ok" prompt. Add your harddrive, being mindful of the SCSI id if this is a SCSI drive that is. From your ok prompt type the following to scan for new SCSI on the bus "probe-scsi-all" this will take a little while to run then you will type "boot -r". Once you are back into the OS type "format" and follow the partitioning instructions, if you are wanting to add this to a RAID 5 you need to be aware that you will need to ensure that this drive is identical to the others size wise, you can't mix apples and oranges! 18GIG AND 36GIG drives don't mix well. If you are using the utility solstice you will be able to create a spare drive and then add it to the RAID, a lot depends on your OS version tools you have and how the RAID was set up. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back