Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to access virtual mail boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrosicky

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
US
I have successfully set up a virtual-domain-mail and the mail is coming and going. Following the manual, the mail box is in /var/mail/vhosts/domain/name and has uid of 5000 gid 5000.

But how do I read the mail? Or do I have to still set up unix users for these mail boxes (the documentation says non UNIX users). I am sure I am missing something basic but googling did not give me an answer. And if so, can I just set them up in the passwd file as

name:!:5000:5000:://var/mail/vhosts/domain/name:/noshell

Postfix is an MTA, which will receive mail and deliver it to a mailbox or to the next hop location. In order to read email, or rather receive it from the server, you need a POP or IMAP server. Common ones include Dovecot and Cyrus.

Thank you for your reply. I should have said that I have a fully functional mai server postfix-imap. I ca retrieve my mail if it is addressed to a unix user. I however have several domains on the server and want to build a set of virtual users so that mail to lanny@dom1.com and lanny@dom2.com do not go to the same user.

I have also successfully received mail in this environment and was wondering how to read it. For example, mail for lanny@dom2 ends up in /var/mail/vhosts/dom2.com/mbox ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back