Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to access the an access database from two locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeRoMaX

Technical User
Dec 11, 2001
CA
Hi,

Currently my company want to split up the company at two different locations. But from those two locations everyone needs to access the access database. In terms of performance how can i sync two servers together so incase one locations makes updates to the database the other location can see it as well. The two locations are in different buildings and are 20 km away from each other. Is there any type of service, solution, application that can help my situation.

Chris

I'm not an expert in this area so I can only point you in a couple areas...

You could look at using access replication. This would likely be slow and cumbersome. Also you would have to synchronize periodically. When I looked at replication, I thought there were way too many caveats. On the plus side this is probably cheaper (doesn't cost any more than a lot of heartache).

That leaves using a RDMS (Relational Database Management System) to house your data at each location and have two servers synchronize the data. SQL Server has a solution for this and I forget what it's called. Anyway, at $10,000 BP for each SQL server and the same for each server your talking about the neighborhood of $40,000 (these are very rough numbers, I'm probably way off on the license). If you are lucky, your organization already has the servers with SQL server on them. At anyrate you would want to talk to your organization's DBA to get started and maybe a programmer. Anyway the DBA will either say yes, no or ask you to go through someone else (possibly a programmer or an analyst).

You may want to try Terminal Server.

THis is an over simplification but:
1) Have a Terminal Server system
2) Place your access program/data on TS box
3) Use a web browser to run the App.

This works very nice, but you will need hardware, network or internet connection, security and a separate instance for each user who logs on and runs the Access front end to your app.

This is just one Thought,
Access Add-on developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back