Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to access Public Folder Contacts Outside of Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvsql

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
CA
I would like to integrate contacts into a contact folder within public folders. I assume this is in some sort of sql table? We have another application that stores contacts that I'd like to import into and know how to do so with sql, however, I don't have any details on how exchange uses SQL (and if it does at all). Having public folders is great for sharing contacts, but not so great for accessing outside of Outlook.

Anyone been able to do this?

Exchange doesn't use SQL. Public folders and 2007 is possible but GAL would be better.

We do use public folders in Exchange 2007. If it's not SQL, where is the data stored?

In the public or private database. Exchange uses jet not SQL.
You would be best off using the global address list to store your contacts.

I we created a new GAL in exchange, how do we write/integrate/import into it? Having a list of contacts is one thing but when the source of those contacts is another database, there needs to be some sort of bridge/ODBC connection.

Nope. The import is from csvde.exe -import using a csv file. You can't link to it.

That totally stinks. All manual entry.

If you could dynamically update AD from some form of external source, you'd break all the rules and your replication across 1,000 and more domain controllers would be nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back