Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to access asp application over a small network

Status
Not open for further replies.

agp4

Programmer
Oct 7, 2005
GB
I have a small network consisting of three computers - one running Win XP Pro and two XP Home editions. I need to be able to access an asp/html application that I created from all three computers, which I currently do by accessing it through the Internet. Rather than accessing it over the Internet is it possible to run the application locally on the personal webserver (IIS) running on my XP Professional pc. Would I then need to be able to access the application from my other two XP home pc's on the network? If this is possible which I am sure it must be (Intranet?), could someone please point me in the right direction. Many thanks.

It should be possible, but it depends on how you have your network setup. If you put it on the Pro machine you should be able to hit it by going to where yourpath is either a subdirectory of C:\Inetpub\ or is located somehwere else on the machine but is setup in IIS as a virtual directory.
Now the rest is dependant on how you have your network setup. You should be able to get the IP address of the XP Pro machine and use that from the other machines. So if it was 192.168.0.2 then your XP home machines should be pointed at If all of your machines are in the same workgroup AND you have them all on the same subnet/ip range then you might be able to put in the name of the XP Pro machine instead of the ip address.

barcode_1.gif

Thanks - I will give it a go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back