Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to access a router/modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyder1000

Technical User
Nov 2, 2004
US
I'm new to networking. I've got a Westell 2200 and a Linksys WRT54G. Now I know these two devices are both trying to validate my account which is why I need to place one into bridge mode.

My question is how do I access either device? I'm not connected to the internet because i'm trying to setup these devices so I get forced into "work offline" mode. When I go to connect to the IP address I find that I can't make any changes because i'm working offline.

You want the modem in bridge mode, with the router authenticating. There are other possibilities because the Westell is so flexible. But lets keep it simple.

First, you need to connect your computer directly to the device to be configured. You use a cable. Do not attempt this wirelessly. You configure modem. Disconnect the cable. Connect router and configure.

Second, see this guide:

Thanks, I have that part down. My problem is:

To access the Router I type in the IP address to the browser. Note I am NOT connected to the internet. IE this pops up with a message stating I can either connect to the internet or work offline.

If I select Work Offline of course nothing happens.

If i select Connect nothing happens because my modem is no longer connected to the PC.

How can I access the IP address of the router WITHOUT being connected to the internet?

The IP Address of the router is its LAN address. For your Linksys the default is 192.168.1.1

The IP address of the router is its LAN address as well (at least until you enable Bridge Mode). Its default is 192.168.0.1

You do not, nor desire, an internet connection to configure either device.

Note: Be sure you set your own TCP/IP settings to the same subnet as the device you intent to configure. For, example, the Linksys you would set your own IP to 192.168.1.2, 255.255.255.0, with a Gateway of 192.168.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back