Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how summerize null values

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2002
US
Hi all..
I have a general question regarding CR (10) where you want to show info that doesn't exist in some of your tables.

For example:
I have a rpt that has three tables (oracle) - parent & 2 childs.
I need to show all people who have not purchased product from one of the 2 childs. I know to create Left outer joins w/ my links and I do get the rpt to show info (null info from the child).. However, the problem occurs when I want to use select expert or formula that will generate NON sales activity w/in summeries.

Customer exist in parent - but doesn't exist in childs.

Need to summerize: show all customers who have not purchased something in the last x months.

When I try this, it shows customers who exist (but maybe didn't meet date requirements) but doesn't show customers who don't exist all together in child tables.

Txs,
J

First group on {parent.ID} and then create a formula {@inperiod}:

if {child1.date} in dateadd("m",-6,currentdate) to currentdate then 1 else 0

Then create a running total using the running total expert:
Select {parent.ID}, distinctcount, evaluate based on a formula:

sum({@inperiod},{parent.ID}) = 0

Reset never.

This would count those parents with no business with child1 during the last 6 months. Repeat for Child2. Or, if you want only to show those with no business in either account, then modify {@inperiod} to:

if {child1.date} in dateadd("m",-6,currentdate) to currentdate or
{child.date2} in dateadd("m",-6,currentdate) to currentdate then 1 else 0

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back