Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How should I synch time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

o8er

Technical User
Oct 28, 2001
US
I have a small cluster of NT servers and NT workstations. I want to sync all PC clocks to one server that I pick as the master. Not really interested in absolute time, just want all PC's to have same time relative to one another. I can do it now by creating a DOS .cmd file that runs "net time" and then put an AT command in scheduler to periodically run the dos .cmd file. Problem is the .cmd file(and apparently .bat files as well) will only run if you are logged on with admin priveleges. I need users who are logged with less than admin priveleges to be able to let this .cmd file run. Where is this restriction enabled? Ideal situation would be if I could retain security by allowing just the .cmd file that I created to run.
Also, I've heard about Timeserv but don't know how it works or how to set it up. Any advice?

I do exactly that here at my place. I have set each profile to run a script when logging on and placed the script in the default path of

\\SERV??\winnt\system32\Repl\Import\Scripts

and then created a bat file with the following...

cd\winnt
NET TIME \\SERV?? /SET /Y

SERV?? being the machine you want to sync with. I have also downloaded a small program from Tuscows which runs on the server which syncs the time each day via the net. Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

I want to do the same thing but users without admin priv get a error in the script stating "required privilege not held by client". NT 4.0 clients. I have tried to give the user account - act as part of the operating system - in advanced user rights with no avail. Any ideas?

You can assign 'User Rights' in either User Mananger or User Manager for Domains. There is a right that allows users to 'Change the system time'. According to MS this should give sufficient rights for net time to work. ----------------------------------------
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Why don't you just use the MS SERVICE "Timeserv" from the NT Resource kit. Once it is installed it will synchronize the local machine's clock with a master clock (on any machine in your network) at whatever frequency you choose.

Can you expand on how to get timeserv to work. What's the differenc between timeserv and nettime?

Found a quick doc on TimeServ

The file can also be downloaded direct from MS at

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/reskit/nt40/i386/timserv.exe

Would be interested to know how you get on. Maybe I might change it on my domain. :) ----------------------------------------
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

I tried to make this a FAQ but there is some bug in that path.
SO!!!!!

I found that using timeserv was very easy.
Microsoft Knowledgebase article Q232255
"Using TIMESERV to Set and Synchronize Time"
URL: does a great job of explaining it.

For a second, slightly different discussion see
Microsoft Knowledgebase article Q131715
"How to Set Up And Synchronize with Domain Time Source Servers"
URL:
And if you have a permanent connection to the Internet see
Microsoft Knowledgebase article Q172878
"Resource Kit Timeserv.exe Utility Causes 100% CPU Utilization"
URL:
WARNING!!! The three URLs abov span four lines. BE SURE to use the complete URL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back