Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How should I setup this new AD Site,need someone to double check logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcadek

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2005
US
Here's the problem, my corporation has 4 sites in USA and we are adding a 5th site overseas.

This 5th site will at max have a T1 connection and I feel it may be too slow of a link to force them to use our domain.

I believe the proper thing would be to setup a new AD site for them, then get a DC for them, ship it down there and move this DC into that newly created site.

They would still log into our current domain, but since they are their own site the logins would be handled by their DC, correct? Then the sites would be replicated once I setup the replication link (every 3 hours I believe?)

The question that I can't seem to answer is, what do I do with DNS ?

currently the only site that we have has 1 DNS server, I would like to deploy a 2nd DNS server for us and then the server going to the overseas location would also run DNS.

What I'm trying to avoid is the possibility of our network going down and them being stranded with no access to the internet since our DNS server is down.

will this be ok?

What about the workstations, can I somehow restrict USA workstations to use our site's DNS servers and the overseas location workstations to use their own DNS ?

I'm not sure how to set this up and make sure that their DNS server can point them to our workstations/server and vice-versa WHILE it forwards external requests directly out to the internet (their ISP) without ever contacting our DNS servers, therefore if we go down they will be up and running with internet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back