Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Secure is Remote Desktop Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccullrr

Technical User
Mar 6, 2006
Hello. I am the Network Administrator of a college campus. I have several administrators requesting remote desktop access to their office machines. Does anyone know how secure this is? Remote Desktop is blocked via our firewall and I would have to open up the port for the particular office machines wanting access. Does anyone see this as a potential problem?

Thanks!

An issue is that you can only have the one port redirected to one machine. You will need multiple ports open (one per machine.) 3389, 3390, 3391, etc. So the remote users have to connect to the non-standard port.
Script kiddies commonly scan for these open ports and hammer your boxes with brute force attacks until they guess your passwords, so it is a better idea to use ports that are in the lower 1024 that aren't being used by your network. A VPN would be a better all around solution.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

They could each setup their own logmein or gotomypc account on their machines.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back