Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How remove unwanted commands explorer pop-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubic

Technical User
Jul 14, 2002
CA
[mad] Please can any one help me with this really irritating tyranny of programmers?

How do I remove/edit unwanted commands in the pop-up dialogue when I right click on a file in explorer? For instance, after installing WinAmp, when I right-click on an mp3 file I now have 4 new options in addition to the usual windows commands list (cut/copy/delete etc), i.e. Play in WinAmp, Enqueue in WinAmp, Add to WinAmp's bookmark list, Burn Audio CD...things that I would never use in this context. It just adds clutter and is really annoying as I don't remember being asked about these options when setting up the program. A number of other programs have done the same trick, some of which I would like to remove. Do I have any control over this?

Thanx a lot,

Rubic

First thing to do is check the options in the apps that put those entries there. They often allow you to remove them (haven't used winamp for ages, so can't comment on it, but worth having a look).

They are generated by registry entries - someone here will probably be able to tell you how to remove them if the apps don't allow you to (I did have an idea about this, but have totally forgotten how!)

Easiest method: Add/Remove Winamp; re-install as custom install and do not check run in start menu and any other preferences you choose. Always install programs add ons as custom if you are comfortable doing so. This stops many unwanted instances of programs interfering with normal functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back