Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How reliable is doing a restore on file backed up using NTBACKUP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oespinoza

Programmer
Jan 16, 2003
US
NTBACKUP seems to work well but I'm being told that other 3rd party applications are reliable and NTBACKUP is not reliable. I'm currently using a bat file which stops the MS services then runs NTBACKUP, then starts the MS services. I know I can't do a mail box restore but I want to make sure I'm doing a disaster recovery backup. Is MS restore from an NTBACKUP an un-restorable backup? I'm all ears.......

Why aren't you running online backups? What do you do do with your transaction log files?

NTBACKUP is stable enough I reckon. In fact, for simple installations that don't need tape libraries and complicated scheduling, there's a lot to be said for not over-engineering your backup solution. Some backup software I've been is definitely bloatware.

I've used NTBACKUP for online backusp for going on 5 years and it has restored successfully several times. be sure to check you logs regularly to make sure you're getting the /IS and /DS backed up. I run this cmd line for my backup (exchange 5.5 on 2000 server)

ntbackup backup systemstate c:\scripts /DS "apollo" /IS "apollo" /l:s /p "4mm DDS" /HC:eek:n /UM

where apollo is my server name

What's the command line for an Exchange 2003 server? I'm told that the /IS switch is no longer supported. So I'm manually backing up the IS every morning. Wish there was a way to automate this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back