Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How quick should a regular Win2k vpn connection be??

Status
Not open for further replies.

markjrees

Technical User
May 13, 2004
GB
VPN is certainly something we're interested in configuring for our office network. when i did my win2k mcse it went into some depth discussing how to set it up etc but it never mentioned speed issues at all.

we'd want to use it for running software and for opening and viewing word/excel documents.

with regards to speed what sort of connections (each end) would you recommend to have so that the vpn access is sufficiently quick enough to use?

VPN is limited by the bandwidth of the users and the server or concentrator.

So for instance lets say in a typical scenario you have 10 users who use dial up and a T1 (1.544Mbps) to the server.

each users speed would be limited up to 55k depending on their carrier and all would share the bandwidth of the T1. So as you start to add more users lets say you get up to 100 users and some of them are using DSL and Cable then the T1 will start to bog down due to all users getting equal share of the T1. This has happened where I work and we get complaints every now and then that VPN is slow. Other than upgrading or adding another VPN solution there is not much you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back